Tel Beer Sheva
Tel Sheva (Hebrew) or Tell es-Seba (Arabic) is an archeological site in southern Israel believed to be the remains of the biblical town of Beersheba. It lies east of the modern city of Beer-Sheva and west of the new Bedouin town of Tel Sheva/Tell as-Sabi. The site was excavated from 1969 to 1976 by the Tel Aviv University Institute of Archaeology. Most of the dig was devoted to uncovering the great, fortified, Israelite city dating to the United Monarchy of King David (his reign being dated from 1000 B.C.E.) and, later, to the kingdom of Judah (980–701 B.C.E.). During the last three seasons of excavation (1974–1976), an effort was made to go below Beer-Sheva of Iron Age II to find earlier occupation. A considerable part of the site was dug down to bedrock in order to find the earliest settlements at Beer-Sheva. This effort revealed four earlier occupational strata excavations were renewed by Prof Herzog between 1993 and 1995 in order to complete the uncovering of the town's water system. In 2007, Tel Sheva was recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Of more than 200 Tels in Israel, Beersheba was cited as one of the most representative, containing substantial remains of a city with biblical connections. Such an interesting stop on your next trip to the south!
And for a quick tour of the modern city of Beer-Sheva click here: Traveling Beer Sheva